From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: OpenRC 0.22 updates
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 03:36:33
1 On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:39:50 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The swapfiles service, which was basically a copy of the swap service,
5 > has been removed. If you are only using swap partitions, this change
6 > will not affect you. If you are using swap files, please adjust the
7 > dependencies of the swap service as shown in /etc/conf.d/swap.
8
9 I found this prose a little vague myself, took me a while to understand
10 its intent.
11
12 Mostly because the terms "swap partitions" and "swap files" don't have
13 any distinction between the two if you're not consciously aware that
14 you can mount files on arbitrary filesystems formatted as swap and use
15 them like swap, and so, the terminology "swap files" and "swap
16 partitions" get mentally reduced to "are you using swap" in both cases.
17
18 I would probably re-write it to indicate something along the lines of:
19
20 "This change only has implications for people who are using
21 swap-formatted files mounted on top of standard Linux filesystems"
22
23 That way it reads as:
24
25 "There is a condition to whether or not you should care" and "That
26 condition is using swap-formatted files" -> "I am not using swap
27 formatted files, so this does not apply to me" -> "I can stop reading"
28
29 Whereas it presently reads as:
30
31 "The there is a condition to whether or not you should care" and "That
32 condition is you are using swap at all" -> "I am using swap! .... I
33 better read all this very carefully"