From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: eva@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] making USE=upnp a global flag
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 09:31:05
1 On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 17:44:42 +0200
2 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Le mercredi 19 septembre 2012 à 10:19 +0200, Michał Górny a écrit :
5 > >
6 > > Just to make it clear:
7 > > - USE=upnp for upnp-igd or nat-pmp,
8 > > - USE=dlna for the video magic and so on.
9 > >
10 > > Do I understand correctly?
11 >
12 > No, TV makers and others advertise UPnP as DLNA (digital living network
13 > appliance) but that actually refers to both port forwarding (eg. used in
14 > consoles) and to media streaming (eg. PC to TV).
15 >
16 > Both flags should most likely start with dlna, then we need to figure
17 > out a suffix :)
18 >
19 > I propose dlna-av and dlna-network.
20
21 Not necessarily DLNA, since port forwarding is often UPnP or NAT-PMP
22 (with the latter having nothing to DLNA).
23
24 We could go for USE=port-forwarding or something shorter but I guess
25 most people think of it just as 'upnp'. Or 'upnp-igd', or just 'igd'.
26
27 Similarly, 'upnp-av' for how gupnp calls it. Or something for streaming.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny