From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@×××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:38:15
1 I am new in this list and waiting at my mentor come back from vacations.
2
3 It is often the problem with democracy. Every one will have its word said, even if he or she know nothing about the issue. What I think is at the only mean to deal with this problem and still be democratic, is to organize the democracy.
4
5 For a subject that concern a herd, only those in the herd can vote. After voting, they send the result up in the hierarchy. The hierarchy accept it as it or do some remarks, and the process in the herd can continue, or take in account the proposition from the hierarchy with a new discussion-vote process if needed.
6
7 For a general subject, the votes must be done in the herds, and when all herbs are done with the vote, some herds representatives can discuss the issue to take a decision. The result can be at a new discussion-vote process is needed in the herds, or at it can go up. After, when it go up, it is the same as with one herd only subjects, it goes up in the hierarchy and down again.
8
9 In all cases, I think at an absolute majority is needed at all level. If it is a proposition with 3 or more possible choices, but at only one can be chooses, it is imperative at, in all level, it is at least 50% of the votes for the chooses one. By that way, herds will come with strong proposition and it is an insurance at they must stay in focus in case of disagreement.
10
11 I think at a such democratic structure have many advantages. This list can stay on focus with development issues. The herds can focus on what they have to do at the first place. The discussion can stay on focus because it is easier to discuss in a little structure as in a big one. The democracy is preserved. All levels can say their words. The head will still be in control, and that control will be democratic.
12
13 I know at no one politician will accept such a process, but we are not doing politics. And it is just what I think.
14
15 Dominique
16
17 On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:17:17 -0700