From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs due lack of time
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 04:37:40
1 On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 18:40:10 +0100
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Peter Stuge schrieb:
5 > > linux-firmware is okey but not great. The high resolution is there, which
6 > > was my main concern, but
7 > it's not so easy to know how to create a savedconfig without installing
8 > the package.
9 >
10 > Just create a text file
11 > /etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-kernel/linux-firmware with the desired
12 > filename(s) and emerge linux-firmware with USE="savedconfig" enabled.
13
14 He means that until you install the package with all firmware enabled you don't
15 know what lines you need to put into the savedconfig file.
16
17 Even after you do that it's hard to figure out what firmware files you actually
18 need. I know I need iwl6000 firmware for Intel Ultimate-N 6300 wifi, but
19 linux-firmware contains:
20
21 iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode
22 iwlwifi-6000g2a-5.ucode
23 iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode
24 iwlwifi-6000g2b-5.ucode
25 iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode
26
27 Are these different versions? Different cards? Which do I need? I had to
29 right one.
33 gcc-porting
34 toolchain, wxwidgets learn a language baby, it's that kind of place
35 @ gentoo.org where low card is hunger and high card is taste