From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Go ebuilds bundling multiple upstream sources
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 02:01:37
1 On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 04:48:29PM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 06/30/2015 03:08 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > Thinking about this, there may be a third option. This would take a
4 > > slight reworking of the golang-build.eclass, but that is easy to do,
5 > > and it would possibly remove the subslot from the dependencies.
6 > >
7 > > The source code is where the compatibility between versions of Go is,
8 > > not the static objects, so what if, for third-party go packages, we
9 > > skip installing the static objects?
10 >
11 > If we did this with consul, for example, then the source code for all
12 > those libraries (that have no other consumers) would have to be
13 > installed in order to build consul-template against the consul's api
14 > library. It would be similar to a header dependency. This would
15 > necessitate the introduction of "build-against" dependencies [1], or
16 > equivalent virtuals (like virtual/podofo-build).
17
18 How is this different from DEPEND="dev-go/podofo" for example or
19 DEPEND=">=dev-go/fodofo-0_prexxxxxxxx"?
20
21 > > The only down side of this would be that there might be longer rebuilds
22 > > if the packages have multiple consumers, but it gets rid of the static
23 > > objects.
24 > >
25 > > What do you think?
26 >
27 > Considering the similarity to header dependencies, I don't know. The
28 > subslot thing seems slightly more appealing to me.
29
30 I got the idea of not installing the objects from Debian's description
31 of how they do this [1]; they do not mention installing the objects.
32
33 Let me know what you think.
34
35 William