From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for new dependency syntax
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 06:01:10
1 On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 07:12:20AM +0200, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > This looks really great :-).
5 >
6 > One note: what about conflicting/incompatible packages? Will/should we have a
7 > syntax for saying, this package must not be installed?
8 > Is that what happens when I say !foo[...] (as distinct from foo[!...])?
9
10 I am working on that problem just now. I do not really want the ebuilds to
11 be the (only?) place to specify that. Reason is as follows:
12 1) We add package foo-1.0 on Monday
13 2) We add package bar-1.0 on Tuesday, which we know conflicts with foo.
14 At this point, we will have to update all foo ebuilds to tell Portage
15 that foo cannot coexist with bar.
16
17 I think we should have packages.conflict or somesuch alongside
18 packages.mask, and that all specification of conflicts should be handled
19 there. Otherwise, Portage would have to parse *all* ebuilds whenever it
20 tried to calculate dependencies (or all conflicts would have to be updated
21 in all mutually conflicting ebuilds whenever a new ebuild enters the tree,
22 and that is butt ugly).
25 Kind regards,
26
27 Karl T