From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo package statistics -- GSoC 2011
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 15:49:34
1 On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 17:19 +0200, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2
3 > In my opinion it's *not* about collecting as much data as possible. I
4 > think it's most important to get the core functionality working really
5 > well, and convincing as large percentage of users as possible to enable
6 > reporting the statistics (to make the results - hopefully - accurately
7 > represent the user base). Please note that in some cases it may mean
8 > collecting _less_ data, or thinking more about the privacy of the users.
9
10 +1 on this. Taking the extreme, I'd rather see a properly implemented
11 architecture that is installed on >50% of Gentoo system just reporting
12 on the arch, then something that collects a lot more data and is
13 installed on 50 machines. Once the framework is in place and there is
14 user uptake then it is easy to slowly extend the statistics collection
15 and gather more useful data.
16
17 > For me, as a developer, even a list of packages sorted by popularity
18 > (aka Debian/Ubuntu popcon) would be very useful.
19
20 That would be useful.
21
22 > Ah, and maybe files in /etc/portage: package.keywords and so on. It
23 > could be useful to see what people are masking/unmasking, that may be an
24 > indication of stale stabilizations or brokenness hitting the tree.
25 > Anyway, I'd call it an enhancement.
26
27 I'd rather not see this in the initial gsoc project if that means we'll
28 sacrifice a big rollout.
29
30 Kind regards,
31