From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ML changes
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:49:20
1 Christina Fullam wrote:
2
3 > I suppose the problem is high-volume and excessive flaming/trolling/OT.
4 > The proposed solution asks that every developer take an active role,
5 > yes, so that could easily equal more work - but I have little doubts
6 > that there are developers that will take an interest in doing it.
7 >
8 It's odd though, that several have remarked how the list has been improving
9 recently, and the most off-topic distraction imo has been this entire
10 thread, based on meetings which were not exactly carried out in a
11 transparent manner. Instead, the list was simply told that this what "We"
12 were going to do. It doesn't strike me as a good way to establish consensus
13 nor as inspiring leadership.
14
15 > However, all that aside, here is another way this change could be
16 > implemented:
17 >
18 I am still unsure as to the need for the change. It hasn't been fully
19 established that this change is the correct solution afaics. The long
20 discussion that led to the establishment of the proctors came up with a
21 markedly different consensus of the way forward. Now this is imposed (a
22 week to comment before the motion is voted on.)
23
24 > -core stays private. I really dont see the need to change IMO.
25 Agreed.
26
27 > -project (call it what you will) would be for the off topic, non
28 > development emails that we so commonly see. this list would be optional
29 > for all developers.
30 > -dev (no preference for the name) would be for development discussion
31 > for devs and non-devs alike.
32 I can see that working if you implement some of the proposed technical
33 fixes, eg so that an Off-Topic discussion can be directed to project.
34
35 > everyone would all start out on a
36 > whitelist. any developer could opt to move a dev or non-dev to the
37 > moderated list (meaning their emails would be delayed allowing for
38 > moderation or simple release after a given time period).
39 The trouble I have with this is that a distinction is drawn between the two
40 groups, and one group (with a history of disdain to the other, as well as
41 of flaming) is given more power. Sounds like a social experiment waiting to
42 happen.
43
44 > The check and balance for this would be that if any developer was found
45 > to be moderating someone unnecessarily, that developer themself would be
46 > moved to the moderated list by devrel for a time period without any
47 > access rights to change anything further themselves. Repeat offenders
48 > would be reviewed by devrel for further action if needed. this list
49 > would be required for all developers.
50 >
51 So the only course of appeal is to a subset of the minority group. I note
52 that the appeal mechanism hasn't even been discussed, so I am unsure as to
53 just how transparent it will be. Further if it's only devs who have any
54 input, I don't have any confidence in it actually achieving the aims, ie a
55 mailing list which is a good place for *all* to discuss development.
56
57 As someone else pointed out, any of A, B, or C could squash a post agreeing
58 with X, Y or Z, no doubt feeling justified. I don't believe that overworked
59 devs are going to be that sympathetic to appeals, and it seems like a
60 bureaucratic nightmare.
61
62 To say that people don't identify with their peers is disingenous, and given
63 that they do, moderation by only one side seems to lack credibility. At
64 least with the proctors, you were drawing from the existing Gentoo
65 moderators, across all channels, so had some assurance of experience and
66 competence, as well as the confidence of users.
67
68 > I dont think for a moment that it is only non-devs causing this
69 > excessive amount of email which often results in flaming/trolling. I do
70 > agree that everyone should be bound by the same rules.
71 >
72 > Thoughts?
73 >
74 Only that if you want us all to be bound by the same rules, giving yet more
75 power to _individual_ devs is not the way to do it.
76
77 Here's an idea: ask the people who've got the experience to do the job. They
78 may not always be sympathetic, but they are at least always professional.
79
80 Also, since it has emerged from this discussion that there is no internal
81 development list, maybe it would be good to set one up? I dunno, it may
82 well be that drobbins et al intentionally made it so that all development
83 discussion had to be done in conjunction with users, and not just to get
84 their input. After all, a developer who cannot deal with non-devs still has
85 some growth to achieve, imo, and Gentoo once had the aim of producing devs
86 who were a credit to the team.
90 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list