From: pclouds <pclouds@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] automate "make install" stuff
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:15:39
1 On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 12:11:37AM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 06/17/04 pclouds wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hi,
5 > > I have an idea of using something like checkinstall/sandbox to
6 > > automate src_install phase without making patch for it.
7 > > Here it is:
8 > > we do "make install" in chrooted env.
9 > > There is nothing in chrooted env, so it won't work. The
10 > > idea is to make chrooted env as same as the real env. We preload a lib
11 > > to monitor file access before chrooting. The lib is much like
12 > > sandbox/installwatch. When it encounters a file access, it will make a
13 > > link from the original file to DESTDIR so that programs running inside
14 > > chrooted env can see it.
15 >
16 > Why the chroot and linking stuff? This will get extremely annoying. How
17 > about programs the Makefile has to run (cp, make, install, chmod,
18 > ...).
19
20 I thought it would open /bin/cp and relevant libraries when executing
21 cp, so i could monitor them. I was wrong because it is executed inside
22 execve syscall. new execve in preloaded library have to make sure all
23 relevant librabries are available :P jail or strace sources may help.
26 > > Another problem is when programs modify/delete a file out of chrooted
27 > > env. In this case, it will fail. It should be handled by hand. The lib
28 > > should ignore (or make it as it's done. the original files don't
29 > > change actually).
30 > >
31 > > The last problem is that links will not be deleted over time. They may
32 > > grow if some programs scan the whole tree such as find. Most
33 > > install scripts won't afaik.
34 >
35 > Well, that's the smallest problem.
36
37 Well, it's just a thought. Could you show me other problems? I'd like
38 to see how wrong i am ;)
41 > > Ok, once "make install" is done, we have DESTDIR with all installed
42 > > files and some links. Some works are needed to remove links.
43 > >
44 > > Don't know if it's usable, so post it here :) Any suggestions?
45 > >
46 > > PS. I don't mean to replace src_install. It's for quick, dirty
47 > > ebuilds. It's for guys that want to install/test some programs
48 > > quickly.
49 >
50 > I don't get what problem you're trying to fix in the first place. Whats
51 > wrong with the current sandbox that would be fixed by your
52 > suggestion?
53
54 The purpose is "make install" copies files to DESTDIR automatically
55 without patching Makefile.
58 > Marius
62 Bi Cờ Lao