From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About reducing or even removing stable tree for some arches
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:59:18
1 On 02/16/2015 10:36, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 02/16/15 08:34, Pacho Ramos wrote:
3 >> Hello
4 >>
5 >> Every day I am hitting tons of blockers stabilizations and keywording
6 >> requests for alpha, sparc, ia64, ppc and ppc64.
7 >
8 > The powerpc team figured we'd deal with this by being "lax" about
9 > keywording/stabilization and catch problems in subsequent bug reports to
10 > increase our throughput. We didn't want to drop the entire arch to ~. The
11 > team hasn't met since last august, and we should discuss this again. But we
12 > decided then that ago would do stabilization and the rest of us would do
13 > keywording.
14 >
15 > As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to drop all desktop-ish packages to ~arch,
16 > but keep the more server-ish, system-ish packages as stable. Controlling
17 > @system with stable keywords is very useful for building stages so I'm
18 > reluctant to give that up. So maybe we can just adopt the policy that any
19 > ppc/ppc64 package which depends on X can be dropped to ~.
20
21 :: puts on a flame-retardant suit ::
22
23 Once we complete the git migration, why not take a second look on using a
24 stable/testing/unstable (or -RELEASE/-STABLE/-CURRENT) system used by Debian
25 and FreeBSD? That should be entirely doable under a git tree versus CVS. It
26 would require beefing releng up again and a whole host of other issues.
27
28 Keep the core git tree constantly rolling forward, have a dedicated branch get
29 cut say, once a year (or less -- Debian is ~18mo?), another group of devs works
30 on stabilizing that (and periodically cherrypicking from the master branch),
31 and when the time comes, totally freeze that for security revs only by a
32 smaller group of devs?
35 Joshua Kinard
36 Gentoo/MIPS
37 kumba@g.o
38 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
39
40 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our
41 lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
42
43 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic