From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 13:03:29
1 Hi,
2
3 I disagree. Either discuss to drop the entire policy about "-Werror" or
4 don't but please do _not_ enter the game of differentiating between
5 "normal" and something you call "security-orientated" packages.
6
7 You will lose this game in the end.
8
9 If there's really a reason to allow "-Werror" it applies to *any*
10 package or there isn't a good reason. _Any_ package can be part of a
11 chained attack. Saying "Uh, this is a security-orientated package, we
12 must keep '-Werror' for..." -- for WHAT?! You are probably creating a
13 false sense of security...
14
15 Let me remind you of something like
16 https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2016/10/14/a-single-byte-write-opened-a-root-execution-exploit/
17
18 No, "-Werror" wouldn't have prevent this, that's not my point. My point
19 is, that there's nothing like "security-orientated" packages. And in the
20 end you deal with chained attacks involving vectors you haven't thought
21 of before involving otherwise harmless packages.
24 Regarding a general drop of that policy: No, I wouldn't change that
25 policy at all. Gentoo is a rolling distribution and "-Werror" creates
26 undesired problems in most cases. Given that we have another rule that
27 any package must respect user's CFLAGS any user or dev who care can add
28 "-Werror" back to his/her CFLAGS... but don't force every user of Gentoo
29 to deal with that.
33 Regards,
34 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
35 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5