From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:38:12
1 El sáb, 31-03-2012 a las 02:35 -0700, Brian Harring escribió:
2 > On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 08:44:02AM +0000, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:06:18AM +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
4 > > > Looks then that there are several alternatives for portage tree, then,
5 > > > maybe the option would be to add a note to Gentoo Handbook explaining
6 > > > the cons of having portage tree on a standard partition and, then, put a
7 > > > link to a wiki page (for example) where all this alternatives are
8 > > > explained.
9 > > >
10 > > > What do you think about this approach?
11 > >
12 > > I don't like the "cons" approach, as it gives the impression that users are
13 > > pushed into a negative solution, whereas the current situation works just
14 > > fine for almost all users. The approach for a different partition is for
15 > > performance reasons (which most users don't have any negative feelings
16 > > about) and as such might be read as a "ricer" approach.
17 >
18 > For modern hardware w/ a modern kernel (or at least >=2.6.38 for the
19 > dcache resolution optimizations)... does anyone actually have real
20 > performance stats for this?
21 >
22 > If the notion is a seperate FS, one tailored to the portage tree's
23 > usage models (tail packing for example), sure, grok that although I
24 > question how much people really are getting out of it.
25 >
26 > In the past, situation definitely differed- I'm just wondering if the
27 > gain is actually worth debating it, rather than just ignoring it (or
28 > sticking it in a foot note for people trying to use durons).
29 > ~harring
33 I did performance stats one year ago or so, but I don't have time to
34 redo all of them to simply confirm how behave now with recent kernel (in
35 that time, I checked reiserfs, ext2 with multiple block sizes).
36 Regarding disk space usage, it's still valid today for sure