From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 00:06:56
1 On 07/18/2015 09:36 PM, NP-Hardass wrote:
2 > On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 12:01:48 -0700
3 > Matthew Marchese <maffblaster@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hello all,
6 >
7 >> I have recently pressed the reboot button on the ol' Installer
8 >> project. I've been able to talk to quite a few developers one-on-one
9 >> via IRC concerning my plans. Most seem to be in support of Gentoo
10 >> having a "official" installer (the biggest concern is appears to be
11 >> how things will be implemented and the amount of features involved).
12 >> This e-mail is to fulfill GLEP 39's request for comments (RFC),
13 >> concerns, requests, etc. Since I'm a little new to the project I'm
14 >> coming with a bit of ignorance; I know the previous Installer project
15 >> fostered mixed feelings.
16 >
17 >> If you'd like to review before replying you can see the Wiki page and
18 >> find the source on GitHub: https://github.com/gentoo/stager
19 >
20 >> To summarize I'm writing it in pure Python 3. It first will be able
21 >> to create full backups (stage 4s) and recoveries. After that is
22 >> finished I plan to move on to installations. There will potentially
23 >> be a web interface UI for it. Others are free to create other
24 >> front-ends; to me a web UI makes the most sense and would probably
25 >> require the least deps.
26 >
27 >> I'd like to hear it all so please speak your mind. Looking forward to
28 >> hearing from you.
29 >
30 >> maffblaster
35 > Who is your target audience? New users? Experienced users? Not so
36 > much a comment about your installer, but installers in general, I feel
37 > the handbook is critically important to helping new users to understand
38 > Gentoo.
39
40 The handbook consists of different sections. Installation is only one of
41 them. An installer would just "replace" that part, not the others.
42
43 > "Greatly aiding the "fresh install process". stager will not
44 > remove the need for reading through the Handbooks, but rather work
45 > along side the handbook in order to help users install Gentoo."
46 >
47 > Can you elaborate on this? I have trouble envisioning an automated
48 > installer process that requires working along side the handbook.
51 See above.