From: Ivan Yosifov <ivan@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:10:04
1 Hello Everyone,
2
3 First of all - this is just an idea, if my impressions are wrong -
4 pardon.
5 It is my impression that gentoo has way too many mailing lists wich by
6 themselves are not very active. For example I am a
7 gentoo-desktop-research subscriber for mounths and have not recived a
8 single message.
9 I further believe that developer issues are always just developer
10 issues. A java-plugin can expose a browser bug. A ppc specific problem
11 my be a bug in the common kernel source. There is little reason for
12 having a dozen separate lists when the issues discussed on these lists
13 are related. As of now for a developer to have a full grasp of what
14 ideas are flying about and what problems bother the users most he has to
15 subscribe to ALL lists which is a lot of subscibe-me mails.
16 Imagine a PPC user with security problem in the java plugin. Where can
17 he discus his problem ? On gentoo-desktop, gentoo-security, gentoo-dev,
18 gentoo-ppc-dev, gentoo-ppc-user, gentoo-java or somewhere else? Having
19 so many lists with so deeply connected topics is confusing and a waste
20 of valuable communication resources.
21 I propose the following. There should be a gentoo-announce list for
22 GLSA,release announces and whatever everyone must be aware of. There
23 should be a gentoo-dev for all development related issues (users having
24 problems go here). And there should be a gentoo-user for users that need
25 guidance (like how do I do this,where is that...).
26 Naturally the traffic on the dev and user list can get high. But no one
27 forces the PPC dev to read the X.org threads so this should not be a
28 problem.
29 Posting to Bugzilla (73642) as an RFE and to dev as an RFC.
30
31 Ivan Yosifov.
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list