From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Working Group established to evaluate the stable tree
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 07:33:40
1 Strict compliance with the handbook would seem to forbid having a stable
2 package depend on an unstable package, and if you have to downgrade a
3 dependency and it causes a cascade, I would opine, that, perhaps, the
4 package in question should not have been stabilized to begin with.
5
6 That said, I as a user have noticed that packages tend to stall in
7 stabilization for awhile.
8
9 What about a script that can rank ~arch keyworded packages by some sort of
10 priority?
11
12 Maybe point out which one has the most reverse dependencies? Or which one
13 has been stuck in ~arch the longest? Or some sort of scoring mechanism
14 that can flag the most urgently needed stabilizations?
15
16 Come to think of it, I think debian has a system that flags the most
17 popular packages. Does gentoo have a way to note what packages are most
18 important?
19