From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] MySQL doc [updated]
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:54:50
1 On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:48:50 -0400
2 Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
3
4 > As someone who has never used MySQL, but might want to in future,
5 > your help doc looks very useful: thanks for your efforts.
6
7 Not a problem.
8
9 > It does need running thro' a spell-checker & a careful proof-reading,
10 > which is always easier for someone else than for the author himself.
11
12 Yah, I know, the docs-team makes fun of me daily for it ;p.
13
14 > Someone has already pointed out that it's 'Structured', not 'Standard'.
15 > under '[code list] 1.4', why do we need a root password ?
16 > are you not setting this up as a user ? eg if I use MySQL,
17 > it will be to manage a large database of urban transit information,
18 > which I will do entirely inside my desktop machine
19 > with no access to other users or to the Internet [ok: I see Sect 4 below];
20
21 Fixed, init script does, actual admin login doesn't
22
23 > at the beginning of Sect 2 , you have 'promt';
24
25 Fixed
26
27 > below '2.1', you don't explain what database 'mysql' is for;
28
29 Don't see exactly where this is in reference to.
30
31 > below '2.3', "let's us know" sb [should be] "lets us know";
32
33 Fixed
34
35 > under 'Creating the tables', it looks very much like a spreadsheet:
36 > perhaps you could point out the parallels;
37 > can you import data directly from a spreadsheet like Open Calc ?
38
39 Not sure if I quite understand this corectly. Most spredsheet programs save to comma seperated files, which MySQL file loading requires tab seperated files.
40
41 > below '3.2', "most simplistic" sb "simplest" or "most straightforward";
42
43 Fixed
44
45 > under '3.6', you should explain that you are using 'insert into'
46 > to insert a new record (if that's what it does), not arbitrary data;
47
48 Fixed
49
50 > under '3.7', "seperated" sb "separated" (other instances below):
51 > it's a trap for anyone who missed out on Latin at school (smile);
52
53 I was told that by someone else :P
54 Fixed
55
56 > under '3.10', you need to expand your explanation:
57 > "if you paste information <into your infile>";
58
59 Fixed that + another "seperation"
60
61 > under '3.11', "comprimised" sb "compromised":
62 > 3.11-12 looks a bit out of place: perhaps move it below with a cross-ref ?
63
64 Fixed
65
66 > under '3.14', why do the columns not line up in your examples ?
67 > is this a deficiency in MySQL or a result of your desktop set-up ?
68
69 not sure what you mean there, they look fine to me
70
71 > under '3.16', "priveleges" & "privleges" sb "privileges":
72 > this recurs several times below (grimace);
73
74 Twice in one paragraph, nice ;p
75 Fixed
76
77 > at the beginning of Sect 4 , the point about root versus users is explained:
78 > this sb mentioned briefly right at the top in Sect 1 ;
79
80 Actually, it's a root mysql account, not the system root, I made a note about that.
81
82 > under '4.3', i would write "quitting", but perhaps US-speak is "quiting";
83
84 Fixed
85
86 > under '4.8', is "admin" the same as "root" ? -- this needs explanation.
87
88 Clarified
89
90 > I've skipped over all the stuff about user privileges,
91 > as it looks as if my own usage would be as "root" in the MySQL sense (above).
92
93 Ok
94
95 > One final point you don't mention: is there a GUI front-end for MySQL ?
96 > I'm sure there is, so which one(s) do you recommend ?
97 > For myself, I'm happy to use CLI where it's simplest,
98 > but it looks as if a GUI would save a lot of typing injuries here.
99
100 Adding a section on that right now... I'll post the new updated page in just a bit.
101
102 > HTH : it's meant to be picky (smile).
103
104 Sure, sure, just take away my freedom!!! ;)
105
106 > Your doc looks very helpful, but needs a bit of polishing & expansion.
107 >
108 > --
110 > SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
111 > ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
112 > TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
113 > --
114 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list