From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The mis-concept of "slacking" in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 03:54:59
1 Hello!
4 When you are active in Gentoo during one week and less active during the
5 next it may happen that people (sometimes jokingly) call you a
6 "slacker". This pattern seems to have become common enough that people
7 even started calling themselves slackers when they are less active than
8 potentially possible. Is this reasonable and healthy?
9
10 No, it isn't.
11
12 As far as I know most if not all Gentoo developers do unpaid voluntary
13 work in and for Gentoo. So every single minute a Gentoo developer puts
14 into Gentoo is a gift, incontrast to understanding every other minute a
15 stolen one. How come such a wrong concept even made it into the process
16 of the council? Officially being marked as a slacker? Is that the only
17 way to ensure an active council?
18
19 To get this mis-concept out again I need your help.
20 There is no such thing as slacking in Gentoo - no matter how many weeks
21 you ran without commits. It's time to get this understanding back to
22 its healthy counterpart. Yes, it does make a difference to call a
23 script activity-monitor or slacking-detector.
24
25 What do we need to to do fix this?
26 What are the places where you observe this inversion?
27
28 Thanks for your interest,
32 Sebastian