From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 09:29:35
1 On 6/6/16 5:23 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > It has recently came to my attention that things are quite bad with
5 > the Sunrise project [1] lately. Most of the developers have left
6 > the project, and it seems that the contributors have done the same.
7 > The public reviewed repository has major QA issues and hasn't been
8 > updated since mid-2015. The last non-developer commit to the private
9 > repo also seems to come from mid-2015, followed only by a number of
10 > removals and fixes done by Gentoo developers.
11 >
12 > Therefore, I'd like to ask the following question: is it time to
13 > announce the project dead, or do some developers want to revive it?
14 > If the former, could someone try to contact last active contributors
15 > and ask them if they'd like to move their ebuilds to ::gentoo
16 > via proxy-maint?
17 >
18 > I should point out that Sunrise has lost a lot of popularity to
19 > proxy-maint, then also to GitHub pull requests (and the two combined).
20 > The developers involved with those provide quite a good review
21 > workflow, with the extra advantage of getting packages straight
22 > into ::gentoo. I don't know how many users would be interested
23 > in keeping them in ::sunrise if they could have them straight
24 > in ::gentoo with similar (if not less...) effort.
25 >
26 > Your thoughts?
27 >
28 > [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Sunrise
31 Its time to retire the project. Put out a last call for anyone to adopt
32 it. If not, then freeze commits but leave the repo open as an archive.
33 Anyone who wants to scavenge ebuilds from it can do so.
34
35 sunrise was a great idea. Debian has a similar project (I forget the
36 name). But projects that depend on a particular workflow are going to
37 go the way of the dinosaurs when the next vcs comes around. Today its
38 github, tomorrow its ???.
41 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
42 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
43 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
44 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
45 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA