From: Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:20:00
1 On 29-Mar-07, at 2:26 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:19:45 +0530
3 > Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I certainly don't think so. A lot of people *switch* to Gentoo
5 >> because of portage. Portage is a core part of our distro, and I
6 >> don't see it being replaced for a long time to come.
7 >
8 > Portage or the tree? Portage is just a way of using the tree, and it's
9 > not a very good one...
10
11 Both portage and the tree. I don't deny the fact that portage isn't
12 the best way of using the tree but it's a lot better than many of the
13 package managers (think other distros) out there. In fact, I've
14 hardly felt as if portage was "limiting" me in any way for the past 2
15 years or so. It just works, and that's a good thing (TM).
16
17 Alternative package managers are also good for Gentoo as a whole, but
18 I don't think replacing portage should be our top priority. We
19 officially support portage, and will do so for quite some time to come.
20
21 Cheers,
22 --
23 Anant