From: Federico Ferri <mescalinum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy regarding enabling IUSE defaults application in ebuild
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:58:32
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
5 > Hi
6 >
7 > I'd like to raise your attention on problem of in my opinion overusing
8 IUSE
9 > defaults in various packages.
10 > Currently there seems to be no policy whatsoever at least advising when
11 it's
12 > appropriate to add +<useflag> and when not, so it's just up to developer's
13 > taste.
14 > While it usually doesn't do any particular harm (but I guess security and
15 > prefix/alt team won't agree on this) - insanely enabling everything by
16 default
17 > is not the best idea in my opinion.
18 > Of course we need an example. Let's have a look at latest stable media-
19 > video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p20090322 ebuild:
20 >
21 > IUSE="3dnow 3dnowext +a52 +aac aalib +alsa altivec +amrnb +amrwb arts +ass
22 > bidi bindist bl +cddb +cdio cdparanoia -cpudetection -custom-cflags
23 > -custom-cpuopts debug dga +dirac directfb doc +dts +dv dvb +dvd +dvdnav
24 dxr3
25 > +enca +encode esd +faac +faad fbcon ftp gif ggi -gtk +iconv ipv6 jack
26 > joystick jpeg kernel_linux ladspa libcaca lirc +live lzo mad md5sum +mmx
27 > mmxext mng +mp2 +mp3 musepack nas +nemesi +network openal +opengl oss
28 png pnm
29 > pulseaudio pvr +quicktime radio +rar +real +rtc -samba
30 > +schroedinger sdl +speex sse sse2 ssse3 svga teletext tga +theora +tremor
31 > +truetype +unicode v4l v4l2 vdpau vidix +vorbis -win32codecs +X +x264 xanim
32 > xinerama +xscreensaver +xv +xvid xvmc zoran"
35 moreover, there are certain USE flags that do not make sense in
36 IUSE="+<flag>".
37 for example alsa: if I use alsa, I want alsa globally enable in
38 /etc/make.conf
39 if I not use it (e.g. not in my profile) why should I explicitly put
40 - -alsa in $USE?
41 this may lead to an explosion of -<flag> flags in $USE.
42
43 probably this example falls back into the "flag which pulls
44 dependencies" case, but it is one more argument.
47 configure scripts already have default values for the configure
48 switches, and ebuilds should try to follow the defaults by putting
49 +<flag> where needed, but with some exceptions (maybe on a
50 flag-by-flag basis, or -more generally- by use-case, like you just wrote)
51
52 - --
53 mescalinum@g.o