From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 12:17:47
1 On 08/22/2016 06:09 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >
3 > Someone here at the office was wanting a cross-platform way to find out
4 > the hostname of the host the container is running on inside the
5 > container. We made another suggestion for that, so forget about the
6 > docker angle on this for now.
7 >
8 > But, /etc/hostname is a multi-distro standard for where the hostname is
9 > located, so I would like to make openrc prefer it over the setting in
10 > /etc/conf.d/hostname if it exists.A
13 What for? As far as I know, /etc/hostname is an arbitrary path that has
14 been used to configure the hostname in the past. Whatever, you gotta
15 configure it somewhere. But in OpenRC, there's a standard place for init
16 script configuration and we already use it. Switching just one service
17 to prefer another path is going to confuse everyone: "I changed my
18 hostname in /etc/conf.d/hostname and NOTHING HAPPENED!?!?"
19
20 Populating /etc/hostname will only encourage people to read it from
21 there rather than the proper way.