From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New ALSA maintainers
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:38:39
1 On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 13:54 -0400, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 >
3 > Even though I'm sure my personal opinion is clear, I don't have a strong
4 > stake in the ALSA herd. The real reason why alsa-driver is not getting
5 > any support behind it right now is that nobody is standing behind it.
6 >
7 > If someone wants to step up and take over maintenance of alsa-driver,
8 > and put the required amount of time/effort into maintaining such a large
9 > kernel code base outside of the kernel, then I can accept that. I can
10 > accept that not everyone shares my views, and although I unintentionally
11 > managed to frustrate the previous maintainer a few times, I did accept
12 > that he was willing to stick by ideas just as I was prepared to stick by
13 > mine.
14
15 Lack of package maintainer, makes most all discussions about alsa-driver
16 moot. Or any package lacking a maintainer. :)
17
18 > Everyone who is claiming that alsa-driver works and in-kernel
19
20 I personally want to see some chipset ID's. What exact chips people have
21 that work, and don't work. Please provide the output of
22
23 lspci -nn
24
25 Only care about the line for your sound card. And if yours works or
26 doesn't and with which driver, in-kernel, or external..
27
28 Then we can say grep kenrel driver sources, or etc for that chipset ID,
29 and go from there :)
32 William L. Thomson Jr.
33 Gentoo/Java