From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [git migration] The problem of ChangeLog generation
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:03:54
1 On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 11:58:13 +0200
2 Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o> wrote:
3 > With my experience in Gentoo-embedded I can also present a problem
4 > where branching is extremely useful:
5 > 1) Package foobar-1.2 is in the tree and keyworded only for ~x86
6 > ~amd64. 2) Some dev at -embedded decides that package is useful and
7 > applies his traditional cross-compile hackery.
8 > 3) The usual route would be to open a shi*load of bugs, wait a
9 > cr*pload of time for the maintainer response and if the weather feels
10 > like it, there is authorization to commit. Then there is also need to
11 > retest for already keyworded arches so we know we don't break others.
12 >
13 > 3*) With git, one would just branch (lets call it embedded branch) the
14 > package. Apply the patches there and let people using embedded
15 > profiles to emerge from that branch instead of master.
16 > Benefits? I think they are pretty obvious - people can start putting
17 > quick patches in the tree for specific arches while not breaking
18 > others.
19
20 And then you have to keep merging master into your embedded branch
21 every few hours to keep up. It's a waste of time. Instead, you should
22 just put a modified foobar-1.2 in your own repository and rely upon the
23 package manager's extensive and clean handling of multiple repositories
24 to avoid having to do any merging yourself.
25
26 There are uses for merges, but working around the shortcomings in a
27 package manager shouldn't be one of them. Migrating to Git should be
28 about addressing problems with CVS, not about addressing problems with
29 Portage.
32 Ciaran McCreesh