From: "Daniel Campbell (zlg)" <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] games.eclass
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 07:33:31
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 08/21/2015 02:09 PM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
5 > On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 12:42:07 -0700 "Daniel Campbell (zlg)"
6 > <zlg@g.o> wrote:
7 >
8 >>> Sure, we did drop this, but I don't really see this line of
9 >>> argument actually accomplishing anything productive. Creating
10 >>> a games team that fixes these issues would be productive.
11 >>> Letting others fix them is also productive. Nobody is opposed
12 >>> to having a games project - it just seems like nobody cares
13 >>> enough to actually make it happen. That's ok - we can still get
14 >>> things done.
15 >>
16 >> What would be required to revive the games project? One of the
17 >> reasons I became a dev was to help out the games team, and if
18 >> it's defunct, I want to see what's necessary to fix it. I'm still
19 >> a new dev (May 2015), but I wouldn't mind doing some dirty work
20 >> if it means we can put squabbles like this behind us and get
21 >> enough devs together to give game ebuilds the attention they
22 >> deserve. I don't have a lot of free time, but sitting here
23 >> discussing stuff isn't fixing anything, either... If I can spend
24 >> what little Gentoo time I have on fixing things, I'd be glad to.
25 >
26 > At last, some positivity! As I said before, I would like to work on
27 > a few games too. I would certainly take up any Java-based ones and
28 > I have four of those in mind already. I've dabbled with ebuilds for
29 > many other games in the past, some already in the tree and some
30 > not, and some from source, some not. The Humble Bundle games are of
31 > particular interest to me. I'm obviously bogged with the more
32 > boring Java stuff for the foreseeable future though so as much as
33 > I'd like to, stepping up to be a lead would be unwise.
34
35 I, too, have interest in Humble Bundle games since most of the games I
36 have and can test come from them.
39 > Do we actually need a team? Games come in all shapes and sizes so
40 > I think the assertion that they should be handled like any other
41 > application is somewhat valid. Many games are commercial so it's
42 > likely that certain games would only be handled by one or two team
43 > members anyway. The main thing I've been concerned about in the
44 > past is how to handle data. Should it be packaged separately? How
45 > do we handle the cdinstall flag these days when there are also
46 > multiple online sources like Humble Bundle and GOG? Do we just do
47 > whatever seems best for the game in question? I'd be happy to hold
48 > such discussions in a distro-wide fashion though.
49 >
50 Despite games being "just another application", I think they differ
51 simply because they're a *different type* of application. Fonts and
52 icon-sets are similar to games in that they are mostly assets, and
53 they get the separate treatment they deserve. Games are an odd mix of
54 software and assets, so I think they deserve to be considered their
55 own type of software. They're also built in different ways than most
56 typical software is.
57
58 Great question on the 'cdinstall' flag. Games from Humble Bundle and
59 GOG are basically fetch-restricted and require the user to put the
60 relevant distfile in /usr/portage/distfiles to install. 'cdinstall'
61 could be applied only for games that the user wants to install via
62 optical media. With it off, it could default to the fetch restriction.
63 However, that could result in different checksums for the source. It
64 may not be feasible to go the cdinstall route forever. Honestly, I'd
65 need a concrete example and knowledge of the other releases to offer a
66 better-informed opinion.
67
68 I think hasufell works on games... thoughts?
69
70 - --
71 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
72 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
73 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6