From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Let's redesign the entire filesystem! [was newsitem: unmasking udev-181]
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 03:15:42
1 On 03/12/2012 22:33, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
4 > On 2012-03-12, at 9:22 PM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
7 >> And yes, I've already tested out udev-181 on a VM with a
8 >> separate /usr. With devtmpfs, the system fully boots just fine, no
9 >> initramfs needed. Guess what the only piece of software to mess up is?
10 >> Udev. I largely think it's a timing issue in OpenRC, however, because /usr
11 >> DOES get mounted fairly quickly, but not before udevd starts. But udevd
12 >> does restart itself and everything looks to work fine. If you aren't
13 >> watching the terminal, you wouldn't even notice the failures.
17 > THANK YOU for testing this -- I could not forsee a reason, back when this process started, as to why openrc couldn't mount /usr before udev started. since devtmpfs should provide the source devnode anyways. It's good to have a (near) proof of that.
18 >
19 > Ian
20
21 Yeah, I think it's an easy fix either in openrc or in an initscript
22 somewhere. I changed nothing except my kernel (was missing devtmpfs -- it's
23 not under Filesystems!), uninstalled module-init-tools, and installed kmod +
24 udev-181. Then rolled back the snapshot once I had the results.
25
26 See the attached PNG for the boot output I was able to grab before something
27 clears the screen. There was a few extra lines after this, but I'm not that
28 fast on the screencap button.
31 Joshua Kinard
32 Gentoo/MIPS
33 kumba@g.o
34 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
35
36 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
37 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
38
39 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic

udev-181-test.png image/png