From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2009.0 profiles
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 18:10:15
1 AllenJB wrote:
2 > Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >> We've been living with the 2008.0 profiles for a while now. I think the
4 >> time has come for 2009.0 profiles so we can have some updates. Also,
5 >> there are plans for an anniversary release of our LiveCD, so I think the
6 >> time is right to start working on a new set of profiles.
7 >>
8 >> One reason I bring this up is that the Qt team would like to see the qt3
9 >> useflag dropped from desktop profiles, and I'm sure others have some
10 >> suggestions as well.
11 >
12 > Haven't the devs just been making changes directly to the profiles since
13 > at least autobuilds came about? I'm sure I've seen some global use flag
14 > changes relatively recently. What is the actual policy on this?
15 >
16 > It seems kind of pointless to me to tie global use flag changes to a
17 > release cycle when per-package use flags are now changed "on a whim"
18 > (with EAPI-2 style default use flags)
19
20 I think a release cycle is most useful for handling incompatible
21 changes. This allows us to make changes in newer releases that might
22 break older package managers.
23
24 >> Traditionally, the release team has taken care of this, as the profiles
25 >> were tied to releases of install media and stage3 archives. Now that we
26 >> have the autobuilds, this relationship isn't as self-evident anymore,
27 >> which is why I address the wider dev community.
28 >
29 > With the introduction of autobuilds, would it be a good idea to rename
30 > the profiles so that they don't have the date association? This does
31 > seem to confuse a number of new users who will appear asking where the
32 > 2009 profiles are.
33
34 Maybe, but you could also look at this as a documentation/training
35 issue.
36
37 > What does Gentoo use versioned profiles for now that use flag changes,
38 > in particular per-package use flags, don't seem to be linked at all.
39 > What should they be used for?
40
41 As said above, incompatible changes. However, it might be nice to
42 offer some unversioned profiles for power-users who update regularly
43 and aren't concerned about compatibility issues.
44
45 > Is this going to be another thing that isn't updated in the Handbooks?
46 >
47 >> Please share your ideas on this.
48 >>
49 >> Cheers,