From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: introspection
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 23:33:49
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
> Beyond that, the naming kind of sucks from where I'm sitting- it's a > gobject/gnome specific flag in intention, but introspection has many > meanings elsewhere that may not map cleanly there. >
Well, there's nothing else in this namespace (i.e., amongst use-flags) which uses this word, and I don't see anything else that would want to use it in-tree. So, I don't see what the problem is with us taking over it :) As for confusions w.r.t. name, the use-flag descriptions exist precisely to clarify that. I personally wouldn't assume a use-flag's intention before seeing it's corresponding description. Also note that perl/ruby/python/java/javascript etc bindings will be/are using gobject-introspection[1], so this particular usage of the term will become very prevalent in the near future. 1. -- ~Nirbheek Chauhan Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team