From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving UID/GID assignments to api.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 21:30:01
1 Hi,
2
3 Some time ago William asked me to move UID/GID assignments from wiki [1]
4 to something more accessible. I've finally gotten around to draft
5 something, and I'd like to hear your comments about it. The idea is to
6 keep a whitespace-separated record format file in api.gentoo.org repo.
7
8 This is mostly inspired by Fedora's format, specifically the ability to
9 specify both UID and GID for matching user/group on the same line.
10 I've also decided not to attempt to specify disjoint Linux and FreeBSD
11 users/groups on a single line. Instead, they are specified separately
12 and defined by providers (as suggested by Ulrich).
13
14 Sample, along with big comment explaining the file format, below.
15
16 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/UID_GID_Assignment
17
18 === PROPOSED FORMAT ===
19
20 # vim:se ts=8 sts=8 tw=0 :
21 #
22 # This file provides a registry of active, requested and historical UID
23 # and GID assignments in the Gentoo repository. Each line represents
24 # a single record, with the first line providing field headers. Empty
25 # lines and comments are ignored. Fields are separated by whitespace,
26 # with the last (note) field extending to end of line. Note that
27 # additional fields may be added in the future.
28 #
29 # A single record can represent a user, a group or a combination of both
30 # using the same name. Same user/group/UID/GID can be repeated
31 # in mutiple records to reflect reality. If you can't express something
32 # with a single record, split it.
33 #
34 # NAME: user/group name
35 # UID: UID assigned to the user, or '-' if only group is defined
36 # GID: GID assigned to the group, or '-' if only user is defined
37 # PROVIDER: keyword identifying provider of user/group, see below
38 # NOTES: human-readable notes about the assignment, optional
39 #
40 # Valid values for PROVIDER are:
41 # - acct: acct-user/${NAME} and/or acct-group/${NAME} packages
42 # - baselayout: user/group defined in passwd/group files from baselayout
43 # - baselayout-fbsd: same as baselayout but on FreeBSD system
44 # - historical: historical UID/GID assignment, no longer used nowadays
45 # - requested: assignment requested on the ml, not yet pushed
46 # - reserved: special reserved range
47 # - user.eclass: user/group created via user.eclass directly in package
48 #
49 # Use PROVIDERs that apply best at the moment. For example, if user
50 # was migrated from user.eclass to acct-user/ with the same UID, just
51 # list the latter.
52 #
53 # Please keep the list sorted by UID, GID, PROVIDER, NAME (in order).
54
55 NAME UID GID PROVIDER NOTES
56 root 0 0 baselayout
57 root 0 - baselayout-fbsd
58 toor 0 - baselayout-fbsd FreeBSD lists both names in passwd
59 wheel - 0 baselayout-fbsd
60 bin 1 1 baselayout
61 daemon 1 1 baselayout-fbsd
62 daemon 2 2 baselayout
63 operator 2 5 baselayout-fbsd
64 adm 3 4 baselayout
65 bin 3 7 baselayout-fbsd
66 sys - 3 baselayout
67 sys - 3 baselayout-fbsd
68 lp 4 7 baselayout
69 tty 4 4 baselayout-fbsd
70 sync 5 - baselayout
71 kmem 5 2 baselayout-fbsd
72 tty - 5 baselayout
73 shutdown 6 - baselayout
74 mail 6 6 baselayout-fbsd
75 disk - 6 baselayout
76 halt 7 - baselayout
77 games 7 - baselayout-fbsd
78 lp - 7 acct
79 #...
80 ftp 21 21 acct removed from baselayout svn in r1475
81 sshd 22 22 user.eclass removed from baselayout svn in r1476
82 at 25 25 user.eclass removed from baselayout svn in r1479
83 smtpd 25 25 user.eclass
84 #...
85 rpc 111 111 historical used by net-nds/portmap, removed in 36e60cce
86 #...
87 portage 250 250 baselayout
88 #...
89 (reserved) 500-999 500-999 reserved
90 (reserved) 1000-60000 1000-60000 reserved UID_MIN-UID_MAX/GID_MIN-GID_MAX
91 #...
94 Best regards,
95 Michał Górny