From: Yannick Koehler <yannick.koehler@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Config Idea
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:44:20
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On April 22, 2002 01:16 pm, George Shapovalov wrote:
5 > I think this will be a very BAD, BAD thing to do.
6 > Imagine, you want to get a really small gentoo installation, where you do
7 > not want just anything extra...
8 > Imaging paranoid sysadmin concerned with sequrity who wants to trust
9 > absolutewly nothing. He would hate the idea that something stands between
10 > him and his conf files...
11 > Well, you get an idea.
12 > Even Mandrake does not do things this way, and for the reason.
13
14 For now thought I have to admit that a deamon which would translate the xml to
15 the old format would be seen as a danger to administrator and therefore
16 should be totally optionnal. Note thought that etc-update is also such a
17 tools that could make your config file all disappear if badly written. The
18 same apply to tools such as diff/merge and even to editors. So I guess that
19 real paranoid administrator use hexedit or tools that they wrote and have
20 investigated the byte code to ensure that their compiler didn't had
21 bugs/hacks. I don't think for paranoid because otherwise I would be myself a
22 paranoid and I wouldn't even had time to write down emails. So imagining
23 paranoid sysadmin is like imagining that I'm rich. Make me loose my time.
24
25 > Now if you just want some frendly conf interface, there is a way to
26 > correctly implement this (just as done in Mandrake, Suse and many other
27 > distros) - create an appropriate tool (optional). That tool may even use
28 > some personal database after it parses all config files, but leave these
29 > plain-text conf files *authorative*. If you are really onto it you are
30 > welcom to create an ebuild for linuxconf or even to try to strip Mandrake
31 > tools out of their distro and create an appropriate ebuild...
32
33 The conf file would have to stay authoritative as support for existing
34 software need to be maintain. I was in no way going to drop support for
35 existing application and therefore that argument was never an issue in this
36 idea. The idea was create equivalent xml files and hide from non-advanced
37 users the original one. Based on the feedback I'll have to promote the xml
38 one without touching the old one.
39
40 > Another point I want to make here (on the original 1 vs many files): it is
41 > far more easier to update many files that a single big one. After all, when
42 > I do etc-update I accept changes to ~60% files reject ~30% and have to hand
43 > edit the remaining 10% only. Now, with a single file that would be about
44 > 100% :).
45
46 It is actually not easier for everyone. It is easier once you've done it once
47 or twice so that you know which files you don't play with. But once you know
48 it then it also become easy to skip part of a single file if the tools that
49 you use present the different change inside that file in block. This is
50 exactly what xml can offer.
51
52 The simple fact that etc-update tool exists prove that handling many file is
53 actually harder than a single one. Otherwise that tool wouldn't have been
54 wrote or wouldn't be used by administrator or normal users.
55
56 > Also (and more importantly) it is far easier to check an updates
57 > (look through diffs) to plain-text files rather than XML or anything
58 > else...
59
60 Again this is a matter of tools, if you use text diff tools to see the diff
61 between xml files than yes it will be harder. The same is true if you use
62 XML diff tool to diff two text file it will be harder. Comparing a xml diff
63 tools with a text diff tool can only be done once we have example and because
64 at the xml level there's more information about what is what for the software
65 I can easily bet that an xml diff tools with valid template would be far
66 easier than text diff. The xml tool will be able to help you out during the
67 merge while the text diff can only hope that you know what you do.
68
69 And if you know everything about all the different config files without going
70 to your man pages or doing an edit of the file to see the various comments
71 inside the file then you won't use that configuration management tool.
72
73 - --
74
75 Yannick Koehler