From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 09:51:54
1 Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 14:20:38 +0600 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 >> thanks. i just don;t want my inbox full of gentoo anymore. i use
5 >> gentoo
6 >
7 > Actually, if the case was only to "not had full INBOX of gentoo", it was
8 > possible to just enable "sorting" and place gentoo-dev in separate
9 > IMAP-folder (like I did). But I guess, you've already unsubscribed, so
10 > nevermind ;)
11
12 Of course, to place gentoo in a separate IMAP-folder, you must actually
13 /have/ an IMAP folder, which implies having an IMAP account, not, say,
14 POP3, which seems to be what gets offered 'round here.[1]
15
16 Tho of course it's possible to sort local mail, as from POP3, into
17 folders/directories too, as I do for various commercial lists and mailed
18 notifications from wordpress, etc, tho not for community mailing lists
19 like the gentoo lists.
20
21 For community lists I normally use gmane's list2news service, getting the
22 lists as newsgroups, which I process using my favorite news client (pan,
23 FWIW).
24
25 ---
26 [1] Yes, it is of course possible to run your own mail server locally,
27 and serve IMAP, while pulling in mail from various accounts, but then
28 that's simply doing the same division into local folders to serve over
29 IMAP, that you can do with a mail client pulling in the mail and sorting
30 it into similar local folders without the additional IMAP complexity, so
31 no need for IMAP in the loop, at least if you have only one primary
32 machine, as I do.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman