From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in virtual/ffmpeg: ffmpeg-9.ebuild ChangeLog ffmpeg-0.10.2-r1.ebuild
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 01:04:56
In Reply to: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in virtual/ffmpeg: ffmpeg-9.ebuild ChangeLog ffmpeg-0.10.2-r1.ebuild by Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
1 On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > To be clear I'm not in a position to offer, and I definitely respect and
3 > value your volunteer work, but suppose someone /was/ sufficiently
4 > interested in something like ffmpeg to be willing to pay for a tinderbox
5 > run on it. What sort of "pay for" are we talking?
6
7 It's tricky to quantify honestly. I've been seriously thinking about
8 it (as those who have been reading my G+ feed today noticed), and the
9 question of how to quantify it is the one that I have no real answer
10 for.
11
12 I can give you an idea of what's involved, so that it gives an idea of
13 why I tend to be touchy when people complain about the way I report
14 bugs, or the choices of packages I make. For those who follow my blog,
15 part of this has been covered already, so sorry if it feels like a
16 re-heated soup.
17
18 First of all, there's the time involved in setting up the tinderbox
19 itself. Given that I can easily start from a known configuration, it
20 usually does not take that much of mytime to configure it — but since
21 keeping seeds around is pointless (they go bad too quickly), and since
22 changing package choices often requires cleaning up everything that
23 used the previously-chosen package, even if I wanted to set up a
24 parallel tinderbox for ffmpeg, it'd take me one or two days just of
25 _unmerging_ the currently-installed packages. It's not an
26 exaggeration, last time it took 34hr to complete a --depclean on
27 tbamd64. As of me writing this, tbhs64 (the stable-targeted tinderbox)
28 is performing a depclean, started early this morning. It's machine
29 time, but it needs to be monitored, so let's say that a 5% of the time
30 is my time, and the rest is purely the machine's.
31
32 Then there is the time to build all the packages, or at least the
33 involved subset — I honestly forgot how many reverse dependencies were
34 involved in the libav testing, but I remember that the time it took
35 was around five days to go through all packages (and their
36 dependencies). Again this is mostly machine time, but as those
37 following my Twitter feed know, it's not so uncommon to have a package
38 hogging down the queue for over 24hr if not monitored, because a test
39 stuck, or (in the case of mldonkey) because a prompt is requested on
40 the tty. If somebody has a good idea how to stop interactive prompts
41 without having to detach or redirect stdout to file, it'd be nice.
42 7.5-12.5% of the time mine, the rest the machine? Likely.
43
44 Then comes the actual timedrain: sifting through the logs, and track
45 down the bugs — this generally has to be done while the tinderbox run,
46 because otherwise you can easily get obsolete bugs. While I have
47 written a tool that helps me with the analysis, it only does so in the
48 sense of finding me which logs report failures, and pre-fills the
49 template for reporting a bug related to said log — it does not help me
50 with actually finding what's going on. And sometimes a build log shows
51 a failure due to another package's build mistake. Only about half the
52 logs that my analysis script report end up in a bug at all; for the
53 tinderboxes as they are, I counted in the past few months an average
54 of an hour a day spent on "detective work" on said logs, to get to the
55 bugs.
56
57 Now with a bit of luck, the amount of logs to sift through for an
58 ffmpeg-targeted tinderbox would be much less than those generated by
59 tbamd64 (which uses glibc-2.17 and gcc-4.7), so let's say we end up
60 with a total of 10/12 hr of work all in all? I wouldn't go as far as
61 ask for my going hourly rate, but especially for ffmpeg, it would come
62 for something a bit higher than a dinner at the next conference — more
63 like the travel expenses (given a conference such as FOSDEM, not
64 SCALE, to give an idea).
65
66 And before anybody tries to misrepresent what I wrote — I don't intend
67 to charge anybody for my usual tinderbox runs; they run and they'll
68 keep running for as long as I have time to dedicate to them. As I said
69 before, my employer (who's sponsoring hosting and bandwidth) uses
70 libav in production, so it actually influences further the fact that
71 the default run is libav-bound — although you could call it a
72 self-fulfilling prophecy, as the fact they run libav is further
73 influenced by the fact that they employ me, but c'est la vie.