From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] samba (and related) packages are in desperate need of help
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 14:05:22
1 Hey all,
2
3 seems like I need to correct one of my previous said statements.
4 Please see below:
5
6 On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 15:24:05 +0200 Lars Wendler wrote:
7
8 >Hey community,
9 >
10 >for a way too long time Gentoo's samba packages lack the attention they
11 >would require to keep them top notch and as useful as possible for our
12 >users.
13 >
14 >The reason I started to take minimum care of our samba packages was
15 >because my former employer used Gentoo on his Linux server (guess
16 >why? :D) and as there were also samba servers among them I had slight
17 >interest in Gentoo's samba packages to be at least up to date on
18 >a security point of view.
19 >After I started work for my new employer this interest lowered even
20 >more and all I am doing right now is simple version bumps on all samba
21 >(and related) packages nobody else seems to take care of.
22 >The situation in Gentoo became even worse when upstream discontinued
23 >the 3.6.x series which still is the only samba version in Gentoo that
24 >is multilib capable.
25 >Given this fact I decided to unmask samba-4.0 and samba-4.1 series
26 >although both still suffering from two major problems:
27 >
28 >* Until now all samba-4 packages are not multilib ready [1]
29 >
30 >* samba-4 packages require heimdal, a kerberos implementation that
31 > unfortunately cannot be installed in parallel with mit-krb5 package
32 > [2]
33
34 This seems to be no longer true. I've added samba-4.2.4-r1 with
35 "system-mitkrb5" USE flag to portage today.
36
37 >So here comes a really seriously meant call for help:
38 >Gyus, if you _are_ interested in samba then please try to invest time
39 >and knowledge so we can make Gentoo's samba packages better.
40 >
41 >To be honest there are some trip wires that make solutions to the two
42 >above mentioned problems (and possibly others) a bit difficult:
43 >
44 >* samba upstream is extremely uncooperative. Best example is that we
45 > still have some automagic dependencies [5] in samba's build system
46 > and upstream is not very keen on fixing these.
47
48 And the upstream reference [6]
49
50 >* samba (and related) packages are using waf as build system. One of
51 > the most ugliest build systems I ever had the bad luck to be involved
52 > with.
53 >
54 >* To make samba-4 (and related) packages multilib ready, we might need
55 > to make python multilib ready first. I'm not sure this requirement is
56 > still necessary - we should ask mgorny about this :)
57 >
58 >* We should really get heimdal and mit-krb5 packages in a shape where
59 > we can install them in parallel [2]. Using the bundled heimdal from
60 > samba is no valid option [3]
61
62 See above. Should no longer be a pressing requirement. Of course it
63 would still be nice to have.
64
65 >* Stabilization of samba-4 still needs to go a long road [4]
68 >Once again, we need your help so please help. If you are willing to do
69 >so and have no commit access, well... I have and as long as the
70 >contributions from any volunteer meet the Gentoo standards I am more
71 >than happy to commit any improvements as proxy maintainer. If they
72 >don't meet the standards, I'm quite sure we can work those issues out
73 >together.
76 >Kind regards
77 >Lars
80 >[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/534432
81 >[2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/490872
82 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/542462
83 >[3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Why_not_bundle_dependencies
84 >[4] https://bugs.gentoo.org/489762
85 >[5] https://bugs.gentoo.org/489748
86 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/489770
87 >
88 [6]
89 http://samba-technical.samba.narkive.com/9UGYmeiG/patch-samba-4-0-automagically-depends-on-dmapi-libdm-so
90
91 Kind regards
92 Lars
95 Lars Wendler
96 Gentoo package maintainer
97 GPG: 4DD8 C47C CDFA 5295 E1A6 3FC8 F696 74AB 981C A6FC