From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CFLAGS moved to ebuilds.
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:25:48
1 On 12/09/03 John Nilsson wrote:
2
3 > It was suggested in a discussion (bug[35184]) that this was files as a
4 >
5 > GLEP. This is just a quick dirty draft. Any comments would be
6 > apreciated.
7
8 While it might be a good idea on the first view it has a number of
9 problems:
10
11 - the effect of -f and -O flags can be dependent on the hardware, e.g.
12 -O3 creates bigger binaries that are faster than -O2 on a Xeon, but
13 slower on a Duron or Celeron (due to different cache sizes). I'm sure
14 this also applies to other flags. Further -O3 toggles different -f flags
15 on different architectures (-fomit-frame-pointer on some non-x86 archs).
16
17 - developer time: it would need an extreme amount of developer time to
18 test all possible combinations for all C/C++ based packages, even if
19 it's only done for new ebuilds.
20
21 - user confusion: users will be very confused about this change when
22 they CFLAGS don't work anymore (and allowing them to override them will
23 negate most of the benefits of this proposal)
24
25 - compatibility: each new gcc version has some new flags, so all these
26 per-package flags would ahve to be revised as soon as there is a new gcc
27 version out (with new version I mean the x or y in x.y.z).
28
29 Marius
34 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
35 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.