From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Specifying locale in ebuild
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 19:43:55
1 On Sun, 2021-03-21 at 13:21 -0400, Remco Rijnders wrote:
2 > I hope this is the appropiate place to ask this question as I do not see many
3 > questions of this kind on this list...
4 >
5 > Recently I received a bug report for a package of which I am the listed proxy
6 > maintainer: https://bugs.gentoo.org/772908
7 >
8 > Having looked into this, it seems the packages Makefile allows for tests to be
9 > run which feeds a set of input to the 'remind' executable and compares the
10 > resulting output against an included textfile. For the test to run successfully,
11 > the Makefile assumes the locale en_US.utf-8 to be available. On the build
12 > environment by agostino's tinderbox, this locale is not available and thus the
13 > test fails and hence the bug report. While I know the impact of this bug is very
14 > minor, I'd still like to fix it, but am unsure on how to best do this.
15 >
16 > Can I somehow enforce the locale to be used in the ebuild? I've tried running
17 > the test with the default C locale and the test also fails with this setting. Or
18 > should I ask upstream to provide test files for a C locale setting? Or should I
19 > skip these tests completely, or mark the bug as WONTFIX? What would you advice
20 > as the best approach for dealing with this?
21
22 Try forcing C.UTF-8
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny