From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving GCC-3.4 to stable on x86
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:24:26
1 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o> said:
2 > We will also need to instruct users to recompile their kernel with
3 > gcc-3.4 otherwise the external modules (which will be recompiled with
4 > gcc-3.4 during `emerge -e world`) will fail to load because of
5 > vermagic mismatch.
6
7 This assumes that they do an `emerge -e world'. We aren't going to be able
8 to protect users from all of the stupid mistakes they can make, but the
9 upgrade path is sane and very doable. Perhaps the docs team could come up
10 with a generic toolchain guide that will possibly help stop any of the stupid
11 mistakes users could make.
14 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting toolchain x86)
15 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
16 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
17 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
18 http://www.halcy0n.com