From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New license: yEd Software License Agreement
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:15:33
1 On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Tho FWIW I think restrict=fetch applies to stuff like cd/dvd-based game
3 > data as well, where the agreement is on the cd not a website, but still
4 > requires specific click-thru.
5
6 I think the real determiner should almost always be whether there is a
7 URL that you can reliably fetch or not.
8
9 If you're talking about a CD there is nothing to fetch. If you want
10 somebody to copy a file off of a CD and stick it in distfiles then
11 RESTRICT=fetch makes perfect sense, but it has nothing to do with
12 licensing, but the fact that no consistent URL exists.
13
14 Legally the basic issue is whether linking to something is the same as
15 distributing it. I'm open to a lawyer's summary, but my sense is that
16 the case law around this is very messy, especially on an international
17 scale.
18
19 Rich