From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Deprecating repoman
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:27:07
1 I've filed a Council bug to approve the plan for deprecating repoman.
2 See https://bugs.gentoo.org/835013
3
4 The proposed plan, as copied from the bug is:
5
6 > The devmanual has already been updated to contain information about pkgdev, in March 2021. See https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/devmanual.git/log/?qt=grep&q=pkgdev
7 >
8 > I have opened a devmanual pull request to remove references to repoman that might suggest that it is still an appropriate tool to use. See https://github.com/gentoo/devmanual/pull/274
9 >
10 > The next steps once the devmanual change is committed, I think, are
11 >
12 > - Give the wiki similar treatment as the devmanual, replacing and removing references to repoman that would suggest it is an appropriate tool to use.
13 >
14 > - Modify repoman to emit a warning informing users of its deprecation
15 >
16 > - After some period of time, maybe 6 months, give last rites to repoman
17 >
18 > - Delete repoman from portage.git
19 >
20 > (and of course adding any features/behaviors we find lacking in pkgdev, et al)