From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] gentoo-x86 migration to repo-per-package
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 08:32:48
1 On 06-08-2011 16:17:32 -0400, James Cloos wrote:
2 > Your idea is a step in the right direction, but the ideal config would
3 > have a top level portage.git with sub-modules for each category, as well
4 > as for eclass, licenses, profiles and scripts. Each category.git should
5 > have sub-modules for each package therein.
6
7 I believe the size of a repo (how much it contains) should depend on
8 what it is. Some packages (like e.g. Mutt) live very well on their own,
9 I understand larger projects like GNOME and KDE prefer to have many
10 sub-components in one repo.
11
12 I don't necessarily think there should be a clear hierarchy, although
13 subtrees may require that.
14
15 > Within the profiles.git it *might* be reasonable for each directory in
16 > arch/ also to be a sub-modules. Or not. That should be dicussed.
17 >
18 > And the bureaucracy should be minimal. Adding, changing or removing a
19 > submodule from its parent repo should only require a call for consensus
20 > among the devs, and not be pushed through a small set of devs on some
21 > given team.
22
23 Currently, all devs can add and remove (with notice) packages, so I
24 don't see why that would require a consensus with this model, suddenly.
25
26 > It may also be useful for the process which generates metadata/ to push
27 > out to a repo, too, just before syncing out to the rsync mirrors.
28
29 I don't understand what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?
30
31 > Having each package in its own repo is a great idea. But a simple
32 > recursive git pull to update the whole thing is highly desireable.
33 > Git submodules fit the bill perfectly.
34
35 I assumed something like this possible to be able to get "all" easily or
36 something.
40 Fabian Groffen
41 Gentoo on a different level