From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-dialup/pppoed pending for removal
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:55:24
1 On Sunday 15 April 2007, Catalin Zamfir Alexandru wrote:
2 > On Sunday 15 April 2007 11:16, Alin Năstac wrote:
3 > > pppoed is a user space implementation of PPPoE, needed only for kernel
4 > > versions <2.4.
5 > >
6 > > Since we don't have such kernel versions in our tree anymore, I've hard
7 > > masked it and I intend to remove it on May the 15th.
8
9 thanks, that package looks like a mess and a half :)
10
11 > So how are we going to connect to PPP after the removal? I'm using the 2.6
12 > kernel, but stil use /usr/sbin/pppoe-start
13
14 how is that relevant at all to the pppoed package ? it doesnt provide that
15 script ...
16
17 if you want to know the proper way of connecting pppoe devices, then read
18 net.example and/or our documentation (both of which go into pretty great
19 detail)
20 -mike