From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC Package name additions
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:27:58
1 After reviewing
2
3 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html#file-naming-rules
4
5
6 I still seem to be having to finagle version names for some packages. At
7 the moment it would be nice if we also had the following suffixes
8 available
9
10 _dev
11 Apache upstream, specifically Tomcat/mod_jk tends to do developer
12 snapshots that they then host out of developer space. People do fetch
13 bins and source from there for testing. It's kinda pre-release, so I
14 have been using _pre where I would use _dev, but _pre does not make much
15 sense.
16
17 _build
18 Other packages seem to do constant builds (weekly) of the same version.
19 For example Glassfish (Sun's FOSS J2EE stuff). It's sources are v2-b39.
20 So would be nice to be able to do like glassfish-servlet-api-2_build39
21
22 _snapshot
23 This one is kinda universal in it's name/implication. Would be for any
24 sort of upstream snapshot release, that might not be versioned as such.
25 Short of the name snapshot being some where.
26
27 The above would then follow the rest of the normal schema, where in they
28 could still be suffixed by a number, or not.
29
30 Hierarchy would be the following
31
32 snapshot -> dev -> build -> alpha -> beta ....
33
34 Or at least that's my thoughts on it. Time for others thoughts, much
35 less those that will make it so. Not expecting it to get done or be
36 available any time soon. Would be suffice if they were just accepted and
37 planned for inclusion at some point.
38
39 --
40 William L. Thomson Jr.