From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Using HTTPS mirrors only in thirdpartymirrors (when possible)
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 15:48:54
1 On Sun, 2019-09-29 at 16:54 +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > while I invested some time in the past updating thirdpartymirrors to add
5 > HTTPS where possible too, I see no point in dropping non-HTTPS mirrors:
6 >
7 > Just make sure that HTTPS mirrors are listed first.
8
9 This sounds like you're wrongly assuming that the package managers are
10 going to consult mirrors in order. This isn't true.
11
12 > From security point of view, we don't get anything from HTTPS because we
13 > maintain and validate checksums for distfiles and thirdpartymirrors file
14 > is only used for distfiles.
17 I'm really glad you've ignored the entire point I made in my original
18 post.
21 Best regards,
22 Michał Górny