From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: improve file system mounting and unmounting in OpenRC
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 15:29:37
1 All,
2
3 it seems that we have mostly agreed that this proposal is a good one, so
4 I want to focus the discussion on the specific behaviour of localmount
5 and netmount.
6
7 Currently, they mount all file systems in mass and exit successfully
8 regardless of whether the mounts are successful. I feel this is a bug
9 because it doesn't correctly report what happened, so I want to change
10 their behaviour so they can fail if one of the dependent mounts fails.
11
12 The other change I want to make, considering that the mount.* scripts
13 will actually do the work of mounting the file systems, is to turn
14 localmount and netmount into wrappers which will do nothing other than
15 pull in the appropriate mounts. The sys admin would have to configure
16 which mounts are local vs network using settings in
17 /etc/conf.d/{local,net}mount.
18
19 What do folks think of these changes?
20
21 If they are combined, is this significant enough change to warrant a 1.0 version
22 bump?It would be if I were removing local/netmount, but I'm not sure
23 whether it is since I'm basically just changing the behaviour to fix a
24 bug.
25
26 William
27