From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Cross Post due to technical component - Thanks for all the fish
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 18:13:24
1 On 12/06/2016 11:35 AM, Craig Inches wrote:
2 > Hi,
3
4 > I have decided to stop involvement with the Project as a proxied
5 > maintainer, and to stop pursuing becoming a developer. Two main
6 > reasons for this, one the community is at times openly hostile on the
7 > mailing lists and IRC, of which I have asked people on IRC about whom
8 > have responded this is the norm(once in awhile vents is fine it
9 > happens but this has been consistently visible) this is ignoring
10 > cultural differences that may cause misunderstanding; Secondly the
11 > community is very insular and unwelcoming to new comers.
12
13 Sadly, you are at least partially correct. Thick skin should be listed
14 as a requirement to participate with Gentoo. A while back, we we were
15 promised an email channel for gentoo-proxy folks that did not get on
16 well with IRC. It never materialized, so I too cut my losses with irc
17 as a blocker to becoming a gentoo dev. Also, I've has several folks
18 promise to work with individually to obtain proxy status, but they all
19 just disappear. No doubt, back_channel chatter from some jaded devs
20 greased that relationship.
21
22 So, I've been planing to just have my own repo, work on ebuilds as
23 I like (actually accumulated close to 50 now) and F those a.holes....
24 Then along comes Anna:: what a breath of fresh are and wisdom beyond
25 her years (see her recent post on gentoo-dev), if you have not already
26 done so.
29 > In twelve months of working with people only 2 have actively
30 > encouraged involvement (shout out to Idella4 and pacho for this), some
31 > projects didn't respond, or if they did they provided no details or
32 > feedback to those of us who where new and trying to contribute. I
33 > don't want to mention names about the negatives because I don't blame
34 > the individuals; it too me seems to be systemic within the community.
35 > I have a few comments about how I think you could improve things, but
36 > feel free to ignore they are offered in the spirit of constructive
37 > criticism:
38
39 > Review your CoC, its open to abuse as pointed out on another thread.
40 > Enforcement of rules should be consistent.
41 > Review your recruitment strategies, and framework for contribution.
42 > https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ might be of interest to some
43 > posters! construct a well reason argument - but be prepared to
44 > reconsider!
45 > Finally encourage Active involvement from all Developers in Gentoo
46 > matters not just in their packages, apathy is your worst enemy
47
48 > I have updated one outstanding ticket for bugzilla from last week that
49 > was assigned to me as maintainer wanted, and will shortly put through
50 > a pull request on github which updates the meta data for bugzilla and
51 > displaycal removing me as a maintainer.
52
53 > To end on a positive note, I was a user for many years and will
54 > continue for the short term at the very least as I think the concept
55 > of gentoo is great.
56
57 Anna Wilcox has proposed some new and invigorating ideas so that all of
58 gentoo may prosper from the splintering into the various gentoo derived
59 distributions. In fact I sincerely hope that her ideas are coalesced
60 into a GLEP and that forking gentoo, (which is already a meta_distro) is
61 rigorously supported and encouraged and stream-lined. I just hope those
62 sailing the Gentoo ship, learn some humility and how to assimilate the
63 best of the ideas from the various gentoo-derived distros back into
64 gentoo proper. CoreOS is a very rich source of materials and ideas, ripe
65 for integration back into gentoo-proper, imho;ymmv.
66
67 My research on Anna yields a deep wisdom and I have found new reasons
68 for joy, related to gentoo, because of her (team) vision. Perhaps you
69 should at least go and view www.adelielinux.org.
70
71 She is definitely of leadership quality, with impeccable vision and
72 manners. I for one, know I can only dream about such qualities, but I'm
73 old and cantankerous and fit right in here at gentoo, with the strong
74 collective of 'old bastards'.....
75
76 P.S. Never give up on Gentoo, as that would be unwise, imho.
79 Peace and Best of luck to you, Craig.
80
81 James
84 > Cheers,
85 > Craig