From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] suggestion portage ebuild system file modification rights and protection
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 07:10:05
1 Jan,
2
3 I mean no offense, but to answer some of your questions in the
4 latest addition to this thread...
5
6 On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 01:40:32AM +0000, Jan Krueger wrote:
7 >
8 > Installing software at the end comes down to putting files at the right place.
9 > (on windows you would add: modifying the registry)
10 >
11 > So thats exactly what portage should do: put files at the right place.
12 >
13 Portage is nothing more than a middle man. Ebuilds are recipes at best. We
14 rely almost entirely on the upstream author to put the files where they are
15 supposed to go. Functions like pkg_preinst and pkg_postinst exist
16 because not all upstream authors concur on where their files should go;
17 because inevitably a tweak here and there is needed to keep user
18 interaction at zarro.
21 > The ebuilds may play in the sandbox whatever game they like.
22 > It should however in no way possible for them to wipe your box.
25 Symantics, I know, but the ebuild isn't wiping your box. A poor piece of
26 product control, perhaps, but an ebuild is just a pretty bash script. Are
27 there wheels in motion to counter this possibility? Of course. A big one
28 in my opinion is the consideration of a staggered portage tree, so that an
29 ebuild commit today doesn't mean its available tomorrow, but that
30 instead there is a grace period to work from in case "something bad"
31 crops up.
32
33 I think you're being misread in this thread, but I also think you are losing
34 sight of the original intent of a metadistribution - let people have it
35 their way. We do this in our spare time, all of us, and we do it "for the
36 love of the game." And that love gets hard to see sometimes. It's get to be
37 paranoid about security - just remember we're trying.
38
39 Egads, I need sleep folks. And coffee. Lots of coffee. Jan, one last thing -
40 If you don't trust an ebuild to merge properly, then break it
41 out. ebuild /path/to/foo/bar install; cd /var/tmp/portage/foo/bar/image;
42 <look around>; ebuild /path/to/foo/bar merge;
43
44 Enjoy! Shop SMART, shop S-Mart!
50 | http://www.gentoo.org/
51 | #gentoo-dev on irc.freenode.net
52 Gentoo Dev | #gentoo-perl on irc.freenode.net
53 Perl Guy |
54 | GnuPG Key ID: AB5CED4E9E7F4E2E
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list