From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Banning modification of pkg-config files
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 05:50:10
1 On 10 May 2014 04:34, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 05/09/2014 09:32 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 9 May 2014 16:15:58 -0400
4 >> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I think fixing upstream is a no-brainer.
7 >>
8 >> It indeed is, this is the goal; you can force them in multiple ways,
9 >> some of which can be found on the Lua bug and previous discussion(s).
10 >>
11 >>> The controversy only exists when upstream refuses to cooperate (which
12 >>> seems to be the case when we're one of six distros patching it). If
13 >>> there are other situations where we supply our own files please speak
14 >>> up.
15 >>
16 >> Not that I know of; the refusal to cooperate is what this is all about,
17 >> see my last response to hwoarang before this mail for a short summary.
18 >> Though, I think that the Lua maintainers can explain all the details...
19 >>
20 >>> When the only issue is maintainer laziness I could see fixing that in
21 >>> a different way...
22 >>
23 >> It has always been an issue; we could always use more manpower, ...
24 >>
25 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Contributing_to_Gentoo
28 > Well to me it feels that gentoo specific .pc files is a similar problem
29 > to any other patch that affects upstream code in order to make the
30 > package compatible with gentoo. Some people may consider downstream pc
31 > files more dangerous because reverse deps are affected. But really, if
32 > there is no other alternative, we shouldn't be treating this as a
33 > special case. We patch upstream packages all the time after all
34
35 Exactly. I don't understand why this is an issue at all. Obviously,
36 if upstream does not ship a .pc file or ships a broken one, we try
37 to work with upstream to get it fixed on their end. If they are
38 uncooperative, we fix it on our end.
41 Cheers,
42
43 Ben | yngwin