From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: Eric Jahn <eric@×××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Timeframes for Gentoo to Become a Non-profit Org?
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:38:00
1 On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 10:34:23AM -0400, Eric Jahn wrote:
2 > Hello Daniel,
3 >
4 > I wish to know what has been done towards Gentoo achieving non-profit
5 > status. I think it is crucial for the gentoo system to become
6 > non-profit, considering the volunteer support it receives. This
7 > question is directed at Gentoo management.
8
9 OK. Right now we are in the research stage. At LinuxWorld, I had some good
10 conversations with Ian Murdock of Progeny (and, of course, previously of
11 Deb"ian") and Ean Schuessler, President of SPI (the not-for-profit of which
12 Debian is a project,) as well as others. The conversations were extremely
13 helpful and productive. I don't view the transition to a not-for-profit
14 entity to be a trivial process. We don't want to repeat mistakes that have
15 been made in the past, and want to preserve the integrity of the Gentoo
16 project. The mission for the not-for-profit is being formulated as we
17 speak. There are two parts to the not-for-profit -- vision and
18 implementation -- and we are being very careful with each part.
19 Implementation will happen when we're ready, but we've learned from
20 experience that rushing doesn't always produce the best results.
21
22 > Most non-profits start their work and declare themselves as non-profits
23 > before getting an IRS Employer Identification Number/Tax ID as a
24 > non-profit. Why hasn't Gentoo done the same?
25
26 Because Gentoo Technologies, Inc. was initially created to handle my article
27 writing contracts for MacMillan and IBM developerWorks and not for Gentoo
28 Linux, and creating a 501(c)(3) at the inception of Gentoo Linux (when it
29 had a handful of users) would have been premature. And between the "tiny"
30 stage and the "huge" stage that we currently find ourselves in, we have been
31 focusing almost exclusively on the technical aspects of Gentoo and making
32 Gentoo the best possible distro for our users. Our 501(c)(3) efforts have
33 been held up for almost a year due to some people pushing for 501(c)(3)
34 status for less than noble objectives (read: commercial interests.) These
35 issues have recently been resolved so we are now making rapid progress
36 in the not-for-profit area.
37
38 The overwhelming majority of free software projects accept volunteer help
39 and do not have official not-for-profit entities set up to oversee them.
40 This only becomes an issue when the projects get "huge." Gentoo got "huge"
41 awfully fast, and we're still catching up.
42
43 In a private email, maybe you could introduce yourself, who you are, and
44 what your interest and current involvement in Gentoo is? I can't find any
45 record of you on our bug tracker or mailing lists, except for an almost
46 verbatim copy of this email that you sent to our -dev mailing list, to which
47 I am cc'ing a copy of this email.
48
49 Best Regards,
52 Daniel Robbins