From: "Arek (James Potts)" <arek75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: using specific gcc-version in ebuild
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 21:49:54
1 Sven Köhler wrote:
2 >>> some software, like qemu and others, are simply not compatible with gcc
3 >>> 4.x and they will not become compatible due to severe conceptional issues.
4 >>>
5 >> then they stay broken ... add a warning to the ebuild if `gcc-major-version`
6 >> is "4" (see toolchain-funcs.eclass)
9 > Hmm, but ...
10 >
11 > there is the possibility to have multiple gcc versions installed. So why
12 > not set CC and/or CXX variables inside the ebuild, and then compile the
13 > app with the "right" gcc-version?
14 >
15 > At this point, it just bugs me, that gentoo is staying below its potential.
16 >
17 > Well, hmmm, you might want to say, that there will be trouble because of
18 > applications/libraries linked to different libstdc++ versions - or
19 > something else.
20 >
21 > I'm always willing to learn, but this really bugs me, because gentoo
22 > really has potential for what's needed in this situation.
25 Well, the problem here is that compiling some packages with one version
26 of GCC and others with another version of GCC (on the same system) is
27 asking for trouble. This means that ebuilds shouldn't change the GCC
28 version in use. If the user wants to try it and see if it works, let
29 them have at it, but don't do it automatically - it *will* eventually
30 break someone's system (maybe not with 3.4+4.0/4.1, but who knows with
31 future versions...remember the migration from GCC 3.3 to 3.4?).
32
33 --Arek
34
35 P.S. Who knows...eventually these incompatible packages might just make
36 the move to GCC 4 (possibly on a major update). Until they do, tho,
37 they'll just have to be broken (which is a shame...I like qemu).
38 --
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list