From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC/announcement] Reviewers project
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 07:19:27
1 On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 10:09:11AM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > I have the pleasure to announce that we have formed a new Reviewers
3 > team [1] for Gentoo. The team is going to assemble developers willing
4 > to perform ebuild reviews and help contributors improve their ebuild
5 > skills.
6 >
7 > The main goal of the team is to handle GitHub pull requests. We are
8 > going to review incoming PRs, communicate with maintainers and merge
9 > them as appropriate. In particular, we're going to help willing
10 > contributors get high-quality, PGP-signed commits into Gentoo,
11 > therefore helping them prepare to become Gentoo developers.
12 >
13 > The side goal is to review current Gentoo commits for major QA
14 > violations and other issues, aiming at improving the quality of ebuilds
15 > in Gentoo and helping other developers using bash, ebuilds and git
16 > effectively.
17 >
18 > [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Reviewers
19
20 This is good news. There are quite a few developers that manage a small
21 subset of packages while doing tremendous work for Gentoo within that
22 community. For instance, they focus on particular deliverables in
23 repositories which eventually get packaged, or on integration of certain
24 components which have a strong, broader community coverage.
25
26 These developers will certainly welcome any helping hand (even post-commit)
27 in keeping packages of high quality.
28
29 I hope you will also focus on the documentation side. Certain processes that
30 we follow within Gentoo (for commits, for instance the Git workflow) would
31 benefit from a good document *set* (yes, set, as you'll definitely want such
32 processes to have both a single-screen version as well as an elaborate
33 version).
34
35 I've also found myself often looking for similar ebuilds in which a certain
36 problem would already have been implemented. For instance, ebuilds with an
37 optional python part using the python-r1 eclass. Do you think it is
38 worthwhile to have a number of packages assigned as good examples?
39
40 Wkr,
41 Sven Vermeulen