From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: libressl@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Recap: Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 12:33:14
1 On Mon, 2020-12-28 at 09:56 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > TL;DR: is there really a point in continuing the never-ending always-
3 > regressing struggle towards supporting LibreSSL in Gentoo?
4
5 Since the discussion has grown quite, let's summarize what was said so
6 far.
7
8 It seems that all respondents so far unanimously agree that the current
9 state of libressl is suboptimal. Unless I've missed something, we also
10 all agree that developers shouldn't put additional work to continue
11 supporting it in their packages. What we don't seem to agree on is how
12 we should proceed with libressl itself and its existing support
13 in the future.
16 I think the key points right now are that:
17
18 1. Users shouldn't take switching between OpenSSL and LibreSSL lightly.
19
20 2. We should probably discourage users from using LibreSSL on new
21 systems for the time being.
22
23 3. We need to establish the way forward and inform the users about it.
24
25 4. We should probably wait for USE=bindist updates (due to patents
26 expiring) and dev-libs/libretls support (whenever possible) before
27 doing anything.
30 In my opinion, the bare minimum we should do is to mask the libressl
31 flag. This should ensure that users do not take it lightly, and can
32 get an appropriate warning (from the mask message) if they really wish
33 to switch. The downside of that is that it will implicitly force
34 switching back existing systems, unless sysadmins take care to unmask
35 the flag first. I think this can be solved by issuing a news item
36 in advance.
37
38 However, if we stop proactive downstream patching of LibreSSL support
39 (which we seem to agree on), the existing LibreSSL systems may become
40 unmaintainable (I can already imagine the super-unreadable Portage slot
41 conflict messages). A reasonable compromise could be to maintain
42 the necessary patching in libressl overlay. If LibreSSL team (or
43 anybody else) is willing to take care of that, we should mention that
44 in the news item.
45
46 The fate of LibreSSL is a congestion point here. While I don't mind
47 keeping it by itself, I don't think it's prudent to keep it if it
48 becomes practically impossible to use it, and what I'd really like to
49 avoid is giving users false hope. The news item should clearly
50 indicate what's going to happen and at least approximately when.
53 I think the three main ways forward from here would be to either:
54
55 1. Keep LibreSSL for indefinite time (possibly masked) but indicate
56 that using it will become more and more difficult. Users will either
57 have to use libressl overlay or local hacks to avoid conflicts with
58 packages that do not support it.
59
60 2. Eventually move LibreSSL to libressl overlay. I think this is
61 the best option if overlay is going to be actively maintained. It also
62 opens other interesting options, such as providing a dev-libs/openssl
63 meta-replacement to avoid the added complexity of USE=libressl
64 while providing clean subslot rebuilds.
65
66 3. Eventually remove LibreSSL.
69 I think that we should first reach an agreement on how to proceed, then
70 start preparing the news item with clear deadlines for each step.
73 Best regards,
74 Michał Górny