From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New ALSA maintainers
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:53:47
1 Daniel Drake napsal(a):
2 > Jakub Moc wrote:
3 >> - The in-kernel drivers seriously are not an equivalent alternative, let
4 >> alone the preferred one, for stuff like hda-intel or any similar drivers
5 >> that are under permanent heavy development, at least for now.
6 >
7 > If hda-intel (or any other driver) from the kernel sources does not work
8 > on your system then you should file a bug. Yes, there are drivers under
9 > heavily development, this also applies to many other kernel subsystems
10 > too. We live with it. It's not as bad as it sounds.
11
12 It not only doesn't work for me, it doesn't work for majority of people
13 that have responded on this thread. So, something's wrong there I guess? :)
14
15 >> - This is not a duplicated maintenance effort, it's simply needed to
16 >> have external alsa-drivers ebuilds, and it's needed to have them
17 >> supported as ALSA upstream won't accept bugs about in-kernel drivers.
18 >
19 > That's not true. I have supported in-kernel ALSA drivers for a long time
20 > and have never seen this be the case.
21
22 Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure what are you responding to here? What I said
23 was that "ALSA upstream won't accept bugs about in-kernel drivers" - now
24 how's that related to whether you (or kernel upstream) support them or not?
25
26 Additionally - forcing people to upgrade kernel for their sound issues
27 is not a solution for many of them. Kernel upgrades tend to break lots
28 of stuff on every minor version bump (and it's not only external modules
29 that upstream seems to plain hate and ignore mostly). Not exactly what
30 users would like to see when all they are trying to get is working
31 sound. Plus it's lot easier (and faster) to get patches into external
32 drivers than get them accepted into kernel.
33
34 > Interestingly in this case, the in-kernel driver is a touch newer than
35 > the hda-intel one. It includes support for a few more hardware devices.
36 > Again these are only very small differences though.
37
38 As said, it's not about code being newer or older, it's about having two
39 different branches of the code. One works for someone, the other works
40 for someone else. What's exactly the benefit from trying to kill support
41 for upstream ALSA code and forcing people to use in-kernel drivers
42 (beyond what you see as 'duplicated' maintenance effort)? Users honestly
43 don't care much about 'duplicated' effort, they want a working sound on
44 their boxes.
48 Best regards,
49
50 Jakub Moc
51 mailto:jakub@g.o
52 GPG signature:
53 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
54 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
55
56 ... still no signature ;)